4MAT Book Review Instructions
THIS MUST BE DONE WITH TURABIAN CITEings
ONCE YOU BID I WILL NOT CHANGE THE AMOUNT OF AGREEMENT!
MUST BE ABLE TO COMPLETE BY 2:00PM ON DUE DATE!
The 4MAT REVIEW system is a way of responding to readings, lectures, and life experiences that requires the learner to interact with new ideas on several levels.
Please use the following format in preparing 4-MAT Book Reviews:
- Abstract. Summarize what you have read, boiling the book down into 300 words (1 page). Prove you comprehend the readings by writing a no-nonsense summary. The abstract is not a commentary or listing of topics but rather an objective summary from the reader’s viewpoint. Abstract equals “boiled down.” This section should include a minimum of 2 footnotes to the text being reviewed.
- Concrete Response. Get vulnerable! In no less than 150 words and no more than 1 page, relate a personal life experience that this book triggered in your memory. Relate your story in first person, describing action, and quoting exact words you remember hearing or saying. In the teaching style of Jesus, this is a do-it-yourself parable, case study, confession. You will remember almost nothing you have read unless you make this critical, personal connection. What video memory began to roll? This is your chance to tell your story and make new ideas your own.
- Reflection. This is the critical thinking part of the review (not critical in the sense of negative, but in the sense of questioning). In no less than 150 words and no more than 1 page, describe what questions pop up for you in response to what you have read. Keep a rough-note sheet at hand as you read. Out smart the author by asking better questions than he/she raised in the book. Tell how the author could have made the book better or more appealing to those in your field of service. One way to begin this section is by stating what bothered you most about the book. This is not a place to provide an endorsement or affirmation of the book.
- Action. So what are you going to do about it? In no less than 2–3 page and no more than 7 pages for your entire paper.provide 3 action steps that describe what actions or changes you are going to make in your life, ministry, and/or work as a result of your reading. Action steps should be measurable and reveal a commitment to specific time, specific people, and identified steps.
Make sure the action steps are implemented between the time the review are submitted inModule/Week 7. Discussion Board activity asks for you to reveal the results of 1 of your actions.
- Please provide a Turabian style* title page, pagination, footnotes, and Bibliography.
*Please contact the instructor to ask permission to use an alternate format style.
Total: 5–7 pages