Choose a simple recipe.
The recipe should be a signature (or favourite) dish that defines your cultural origins (or a culture that you identify yourself with).
Record yourself (or ask someone to record you) cooking the recipe you’ve chosen.
Please choose ingredients that you have access to in a safe manner and substitute accordingly (and safely).
During the video, you are required to speak about;
1. The highlights of the dish/recipe/ingredients and why its popular or considered a signature dish
2. The cultural origins of the dish/recipe/ingredients, referring to the origin of the dish. You can discuss the cultural context in which the dish is usually (or used to be served) for an example, the presentation/rituals of its consumption/festives its associated/where/who grows the ingredients/where its sold. This cultural origin of the dish can then be discussed with the context of how it is currently served.
3. Outline its history, influences, key characteristics and implications of the dish/recipe/ingredient in a global world
4. Use the theories we have discussed in class (week 3 and 4) to bring together your view of how your dish could work across cultures (stereotypes that the dish may represent and differences in cultures viewing the dish- this could for an example its’ ingredients or the occasion when it is consumed etc). More importantly, discuss how you think the cross cultural impact could be enhanced/improved.
5. Use to your leverage the idealogies we covered in class to speak/write about all of the above. Some key elements you could choose to include are;
-‘context of global management-week 1’,
-‘Culture, personality, and human nature- week 3’,
-‘Common themes across culture types- week 3’,
-‘Normative beliefs, institutional requirements, and social control- week 3’,
-‘Cultural complexities and contradictions- week 3’.
-Theoretical background could be one of/or a combination of the four ideologies covered in class- see ‘Descriptive models of culture: Four models – week 3’
5. Remember that your video should be between 4-6 minutes long.
*It’s reasonable to assume that your dish can’t be cooked within 4-6 minutes, nor can you give an insightful discussion on the above points while cooking. Students in the past have choosen to record the video of themselves cooking, then edit (cut off extended parts, leave only the important bits) to bring it to within the timeline and give a voice over- where you can include some of the above assignment requirement highlights
Enter the link of the video onto a word document. Write a short summary of about 1,500 words (+/- 10%) in the same document to summarise and complement your video submission.
Marking criteria include the reflective analysis of cultural origins – developing a cultural map of the recipe, the thoroughness of the investigation of the culture’s history and characteristics based on the recipe, a theoretical understanding of the concept and the various dimensions of culture and discussion on how culture influences personal development and the future.
Critical evaluations and justifications are key to your submission.
Type of Assignment: Individual report counting towards 40% of the overall grade
Deliverable: 4-6 minutes of a video link uploaded into a word document accompanied by a 1,500 word write-up in the same document. No other forms of submission will be accepted.
Cultural Culinary Analysis
Cultural Culinary Analysis
Criteria Ratings Pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeReflective Analysis of Cultural Origins
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeThoroughness of the investigation of the culture’s history and characteristics through the recipe
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeClear theoretical understanding of the concept and the various dimensions of culture brought forward through the recipe
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeDiscussion on how culture influences personal development and the future, through dicsussion of the recipe as an example and beyond
Total Points: 40
Do you want your assignment written by the best research essay tutors? Then look no further. Order Now, and enjoy an amazing discount!!