We hear a lot of horror stories in health care. A middle-aged man sits in a waiting room for four hours without getting attention. A medication error harms an elderly woman. A child dies because his condition was not properly relayed up a chain of command.
What about when a patient has a great experience? Why don’t we hear those stories? This is one of those stories.
Option 1 Questions (answer all):
1. Have you or a loved one ever been in the hospital because of an injury or an illness? Even as an RN, did you or your loved one understand everything the clinicians said to you? If not, what hindered your understanding and what could have helped you in that situation?
2. How did Melba, Luis, and Julie all contribute to a better patient experience for Gilbert?
3. How can you contribute to a better experience for your patients?
4. Gilbert believes Melba, Luis, and Julie represent what the face of health care should look like. What do you want your health care system to look like? How is your ideal different than what you typically see?
5. Like Gilbert, are you passionate about the work you do? Why or why not?