HLTH 355: Addressing Health Disparities through Social Justice
Paper Two Assignment
Due 05/12/20 by 11:59pm
Overview: You will write a paper on either a social movement or a social policy that has impacted
both health disparities and overall population health in the United States.
For this assignment, you will produce a paper (3-4 double-spaced pages) that focuses on one social
movement or social policy that, in the past, was advocated as a method to address health disparities.
You may choose from any of the following:
Social Policies Social Movements
• Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program • The Breast Cancer Movement
• Housing Choice Voucher Program • The AIDS Movement
• Temporary Assistance for Needy Families • The Labor Movement
• Supplemental Security Income (SSI) • The Disability Rights Movement
• Head Start • The Environmental Justice Movement
To gather information for your paper, you may only use:
• Government websites (i.e., the initial website ends with .gov)
• Published books (including individual book chapters)
• Peer-reviewed journal articles
• You may not use any other resources (e.g., websites, news stories, or videos)
2. Provide background about the social movement or policy. Include a historical summary of how it
developed and key players or leaders.
3. Explain at least one disparity the policy or movement was intended to target.
4. Detail any ways the policy or social movement has affected population health.
6. Provide a reference list in APA format. You should have at least 2 sources.
Technical Requirements (Part of your grade)
All papers should be typed and have a cover page. Papers should be in Arial or Times New Roman 12-
point font, double-spaced, with 1″ margins. Every paper should have citations in the text and they should
be in APA style. You should submit a Microsoft Word document or Adobe pdf