To prepare: (No More Than 500 words)
- Review the life model.
- Review this article in the Learning Resources: Piedra, L. M., & Engstrom, D. W. (2009). Segmented assimilation theory and the life model: An integrated approach to understanding immigrants and their children. Social Work, 54(3), 270–277. http://dx.doi.org.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/sw/54.3.270
Using an example from your fieldwork experience and a diverse population you encountered at the agency (for example, in Piedra and Engstrom’s article, it was immigrant families), respond to the following:
- Identify and describe the diverse population and the unique characteristics and/or the distinctive needs of the population in 3 to 4 brief sentences.
- Explain how the life model can be applied for the population.
- Explain where the gaps are in applying the life model for this population.
- When looking at the gaps, explain which theory might be helpful in filling the gaps of the life model when working with this population.