- Read sections “12.3 Understanding Communication,” “12.4 Communication Barriers,” and “12.5 Different Types of Communication” in Principles of Management.
- To understand communication and its barriers better, answer the following questions:
- Explain how miscommunication might be related to an accident at work.
- Give an example of noise during the communication process.
- Most people are poor listeners. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Please support your position.
- In your experience, how is silence used in communication? How does your experience compare with the recommended use of silence in active listening?
- How aware of your own body language are you? Has your body language ever gotten you into trouble when you were communicating with someone?
- If the meaning behind verbal communication is only 7% words, what does this imply for written communication