Example Essay Plan – HYPOTHETICAL CASE STUDY
Construct your title – A case study of….
Include the nature of the intervention, the specific learning need, the age group and the geographical location.
Introduction (250-500 words)
• Context of school and/or region – could be a specific school you have in mind, but does not have to be.
• Background to the intervention – why this kind of intervention is important in this context.
• Identify the learning issue – all interventions are there to address some deeper issue – what is that?
• Explain the research question (turn your title into a question) e.g. how well COULD this intervention support and address the particular educational needs and learning issues of a targeted group of students over a specified period of time if the school puts it in place?
• Link to main literature review topics
Literature review (e.g. chronology/themes/canon/wheel/pyramid) (1000-1250 words)
• Topic A
• Topic B
• Topic C
• Explicit link to your proposed intervention
Intervention design (1000-1250 words)
• A plan for the intervention, covering how the intervention should be run, over what period of time, frequency, staffing required, how students are to be selected etc. Use the 5 Ws and H: who, what, why, where, when and how question from the Week 1 materials.
• A table format/plan could be useful for the practical elements. If there are additional materials that would take up space, examples can go in the appendices.
• Reference back to any literature(s) that have influenced this design/approach.
Intervention justification (250-500 words)
• Justification of which elements of intervention design you have been influenced by from your reading, with references.
• Justification of how this approach meets the learning needs of the targeted group of students based on your reading, with references.
• Remember to maintain balance and objectivity and show critical engagement with the literature – some sources may disagree or offer alternative approaches – try to justify why you have chosen one kind of approach.
Methodology (include ethics) – (500-750 words)
• Case study – how you will be able to study the intervention you have designed?
• Method 1 e.g what kind of observations why and of what (with references)?
• Method 2 e.g what kind of interviews, why and with whom (with references)?
• Method 3 e.g what kind of progress data, why and what should it show (with references)?
• Triangulation – what should this data collection show and how does this relate back to what you have read in the literature?
Conclusion (250-500 words)
• Conclude about the potential that this intervention has to support learning needs of target students in this school/region e.g. how well COULD this intervention support and address the particular educational needs and learning issues of a targeted group of students over a specified period of time if this (or any) school puts it in place?
• Make recommendations with references to literature.
• May be able to relate this to specific school or region.
• All texts referred to, alphabetical order, Harvard referencing style
• Examples of useful materials e.g. those that you might propose using within the intervention design.
• Examples of any interview questions you might ask or any observation checklists etc.