Comparison and Contrast Essay Topics:
- Using two stories, compare the marital or romantic relationships presented.
This essay of no more than 700 words requires you to choose two stories from among those covered so far in Modules 1 to 5 and assigned in Module 6. You’re limited to the stories that you haven’t already written about in your last two essays. One of your challenges for Assignment 3 is to select two stories that are good matches for your chosen topic. You may wish to consult your Open Learning Faculty Member about your topic and short story choices.
THE TWO SHORT STORIES FOR THIS ASSIGNMENT:
- “Hills Like White Elephants” by Ernest Hemingway:
Your essay should have three parts: an introductory paragraph, a body containing fully developed paragraphs, and a concluding paragraph. The following is a general guide for what to include in each section of your essay.
In your introductory paragraph:
- Introduce your chosen stories (with their full titles) and their authors.
- Identify clearly your essay topic—the subject of your comparison/contrast.
- Include a strong thesis statement on the comparison and contrast topic that indicates what a reader ultimately can learn from the comparison/contrast.
- Forecast the categories of the comparison and contrast that your essay will analyze in detail.
In your analysis of the body of your essay:
- Make effective use of topic sentences to identify the categories of comparison or contrast in your analysis.
- Support your comments with evidence (paraphrase and direct quotations) from your chosen stories.
- Explain the significance of each piece of evidence you present as it relates to your thesis.
- Contribute to your reader’ understanding of the two stories.
In your concluding paragraph:
- Summarize how your analysis of the categories of comparison/contrast supports your thesis.
- Restate in different words the purpose of your comparison/contrast.
Quotations count toward the word length, but Works Cited items listed at the end do not.
Unlimited Free Revisions
Money Back Guarantee