Research shows that children’s home lives exert a profound impact on their intellectual (brain) development. Consider the characteristics of the home environment that support children’s intellectual (brain) growth. Using examples to illustrate, answer the following questions:
- Why is good prenatal care essential to healthy prenatal brain development?
- How can families promote healthy prenatal brain development?
- How can families support their children’s intellectual (brain) development after birth and through the toddler, early childhood and middle childhood years?
- Is it necessary to buy expensive toys and materials for the home? Why or why not?
- Identify one specific learning experience that a family can engage their child in that involves the use of materials readily available within the home. For example, when children help fold socks they are reinforcing concepts of matching, colors, size comparison, etc.