Within the Discussion Board area, write 400–600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
As you embark on the database design process, you want to make sure that all of the existing features and new requirements are built into the new database. What are the tasks and mechanisms that you can use that allow you to examine the existing system and start to transform it into the new database, and how are these mechanisms used?
When creating the new database it is critical to complete each step in the database design as completely as possible. To help with this and to make sure you do not move too fast, too soon, describe the differences between conceptual, logical and physical data modeling. Finally, you are in a somewhat unique position in that you are migrating from Access to an RDBMS of your choice. At what step is a DBMS chosen, and what is the process?
Your post should include the following details:
- A description of the tasks and mechanisms that allow you to examine the existing system (a minimum of 3 different tools should be described)
- A description of conceptual, logical and physical data modeling
- A description of the process and steps in choosing a DBMS
Responses to Other Students: Respond to at least 2 of your fellow classmates with a reply of at least 100 words about their primary task response regarding items you found to be compelling and enlightening. To help you with your discussion, please consider the following questions:
- What did you learn from your classmate’s posting?
- What additional questions do you have after reading the posting?
- What clarification do you need regarding the posting?
- What differences or similarities do you see between your posting and other classmates’ postings?